Saturday, March 7, 2009

Temples and Snow Shoeing

Today we went with Nancy and Calvin, first to the Manti Temple and afterwards snow shoeing at their cabin. They were invited to a Temple Marriage Ceremony, and we did sealings. It was really neat experience. We had the opportunity to see a little more of the Temple than the one other time we were there (when Malinda and Brian were sealed 2 1/2 years ago). The sealings weren't very long so when we were through we just sat in the Celestial room. I just love the architecture of that beautiful Temple. We also ate lunch in the Temple cafeteria. We all had roast beef and mashed potatoes with gravy.

Then we headed to Nancy and Calvin's cabin. We changed out of our temple clothes and into our warm weather gear in the lodge, then went to pick up the 4 wheelers (which we had dropped off earlier that morning on our way to the temple). The only way to get up to their cabin with all the snow is either by snow mobiles or 4 wheelers (when using 4 wheelers - only if you stay on the roads that have been compacted). You could not drive a car or truck as they would get stuck.

Unloading the wheelers at the bottom



Calvin warned us to stay on the road and not get off of it or we would get stuck and bury the 4 wheelers but Dennis must have been sleeping when Calvin said this because as we got to the cabin, he thought he would just drive on down the driveway. WRONG! He got stuck royally and they spent about 45 minute getting the 4 wheeler out.

STUCK, and nearly laid over on it's side



Getting unstuck


Almost out....those machines are heavy and it took alot of man power



Nearly there...



Finally out (coiling the wench back up)



Once Dennis was unstuck, Nancy and I headed down to the cabin on snow shoes and walked down and around in the snow. It was so beautiful. I just love the mountains. Each season has its own beauty and winter is no exception. After a little snow shoeing, we went into the cabin and saw how much work they had been able to complete last fall, then we just sat and visited and got warmed up. When we were all warm, we set out for another round of snow shoeing. It is one winter sport I could enjoy doing. Great exercise. It was too bad Dennis didn't have his camera out when, as I always do, fell in a hole. I don't know what it is with me, but if there is a hole, I will find it. We had walked to the lookout and on the way back my right leg took a step and didn't stop, and I sank up to my thigh. It was hilarious. Dennis was so worried that I had injured myself, and I couldn't say much because I was laughing too hard. It seems there was some electrical sort of box under the snow and the sun had heated it up and the snow around the box had melted away, but still left the top layer, so I had no way of knowing there was a hole. Then we went back to the cabin and ate dinner and visited. Thanks Nancy and Calvin for inviting us. We had so much fun.


3 comments:

Min said...

I love snowshoeing! I'm so glad that you guys had a good time! It looks beautiful, but I can honestly say that I don't miss the snow!

alisha peterson said...

looks like you guys had alot of fun. Its just like dad not to listen and get stuck.

kimmers said...

I love snowshoeing too! It looks gorgeous down there right now. Glad you guys got to go enjoy it.