Sunday, March 15, 2009

My grandma, My hero(ine)


My grandma turned 91 today. She has always been such an inspiration in my life. I would like to pay tribute to this wonderful woman. She is now in a care center and is not the person she used to be. This is the grandma I remember:
1. I don't remember her ever talking bad about anyone.
2. She always looked for the best in others.
3. She would stop whatever she was doing and be there for me.
4. She would listen to me and felt my pain when I was sad.
5. She always made me feel like I was her favorite.
6. She always had treats (cookies, snak pak puddings, dried fruit).
7. At Christmas (and camping) she always had puffed wheat balls, puffed rice balls and home made cookies of all sorts.
8. She had a strong testimony and served diligently in her church callings.
9. She faithfully served in the Provo Temple for many, many years with my grandpa.
10. She developed many talents over the years that she shared with her family (handmade quilts and afghans, tole painting, marzipan, oil painting and many others)
11. She was always thinking (and helping) those in her family who were struggling. 12. She had such compassion for the underdog.
13. She loved having her grandchildren (and later her great grandchildren) come and stay with her - and did little crafts with us (ie: Styrofoam cups in the microwave)
14. She would tell us bedtime stories about the pictures that hung on her walls.
15. When we were sick with a cold, she would put vicks on our chests and cover it with a dish towel that we wore to bed.

This is just a very small list of why I love my grandma.
.....HAPPY BIRTHDAY, GRANDMA. I LOVE YOU!!!

2 comments:

Fleming Family said...

What a great tribute! What a woman to be kicking around at 91! What an accomplishment! I love grandma's!

kimmers said...

I remember so many of those things about her too! She's so amazing! :)