Saturday, October 11, 2008

Canning & grandkids

I finally got my tomatoes picked and bottled today. That was a relief as it is really cold tonight and I believe it will freeze. That then will be the end of the tomatoes. I also got two batches of grape juice done. It got to be quite stressful as at one point as the steamer juicer of Amanda's I was borrowing (so I could have 2 going at one time) had a problem with the hose and clamp and before I knew it I had a big puddle of hot sticky grape juice all over my floor and splashed all over the bottom of the stove. What a mess!!! I got it all cleaned up but had to keep a jar underneath the hose to catch the constant drip until the first batch was finished and I could swap pans. Part of this time I was watching Amanda and Steve's kids so they could celebrate their anniversary. I am grateful that Alisha was here to help with the baby so I could finish the canning and clean up. Thanks goodness the kids love playing with each other and had lots of fun being together.

Grandma's little helper. Porter saw me go out to the porch and get a box of grapes, so he wanted to help and went out and got the other box. I thought this was a Kodak moment and by the time I got the camera he had it this far. But he was faster at moving the box than I was getting the camera and putting in fresh batteries.It was a struggle for him to get it over the lip of the tile at the door. He even shut the back door on his way in. What a kid!The finished product of todays labor. 14 pints stewed tomatoes, and 13 quarts grape juice.
Porter and Tyler playing with the Troll's, while I cleaned the kitchen. It was so cute to watch Porter comb the trolls hair and then bam, bam, bam, slam the troll against the floor. He did this over and over. You can't tell from the first picture, it looks like he is holding the troll with the pink hair, but he is actually holding the doll brush and the pink haired troll is laying on the floor.