Monday, September 22, 2008

PAPP

Peaches, apples, pears, plums. That is what I have been doing with my life the last two weeks. I have a very wonderful father who has shared so much of his fruit with us (as he does every year from his small orchard) and I have been freezing and drying it. My freezer is so full it won't hold another bag. I decided to freeze and dry this year because we don't eat the bottled fruit. Sometimes we will make a cobbler with it, but usually it just sits there and turns brown. We love smoothies and have been making them for a year now. So it just made sense to freeze the fruit and use it up rather than investing so much time and energy into something that sits and turns brown. The only thing I miss is the satisfaction of looking at the beautiful jars sitting on the countertop just before putting them away. I am in awe of my niece and her husband who put up 55 quarts of applesauce in one day. Last year my two daughters and I did 120 jars, but there were 3 0f us working together to do it. Canning is a lot of hard work, but well worth the effort if it gets used up. I am thankful to my mom who taught my sisters and I how to can, freeze and dry, and I enjoyed teaching my daughters to do the same thing. It is a great joy to see them following in our footsteps. Here are some of the apples that daily fall off of our apple tree waiting for me to do something with. Thanks goodness they will keep longer that peaches and plums. I still have that many more plums in the fridge. I think I need to borrow another dryer. Thanks goes to Dennis for picking them up off the lawn for me today as I was deep in peaches and he needed to mow the lawn.

No comments: