Friday, January 21, 2011

Bathroom Remodel

We have finally started remodeling our main bathroom. It has needed it for many years. It was time for the pink tub and pink flowered, peeling, wallpaper to disappear. We took it down to the studs, which was no easy chore because our house, being made in the 1960's has plaster over sheet rock with chicken wire at all the seams. Dennis did such a good job demoing it with some help from Steve and I. I wanted to help more, but I got sick that day.



Now Steve has been replacing all the old water and drain pipes with all new plastic lines. We got a bonus out of the deal. The utility room is directly underneath and in order to get to the pipes we had to take out all the junk that has been in there since we moved in. We also took down the make shift "sheet rock" some previous owner put up. Steve has moved the water heater and salt water tank to make the room much more functional. We have gained a whole new utility room with a lot of storage space.

Before too much more can be done we have to buy the shower fixtures and decide on what wood floor we want to go in the hallway. At first I thought deciding on what particular wood floor I wanted in the hallway was premature, but when they explained to me that in order for the tile floor in the bathroom to match up with the wood floor in the hallway, they have to know the depth of the wood floor. It has been impossible for Dennis and I to get together and decide on what we both like with our very different and busy schedules. I think tomorrow is the day to make many of these decisions. Now if we can find something we both agree on. Dennis seems to gravitate to the most expensive items, and our budget doesn't allow for that.

I am so glad we were able to redo the bathroom downstairs 2 1/2 years ago so we would be ready when it came time to do the upstairs bath. It takes some pre-thought to make sure I have everything I need to get ready for the day, but at least we have another bathroom.

I am so excited for it to be done and look gorgeous. Then we move on to the living room and hallway. The 80's look has had it's day and it is time for a re-do. I just hope I can stay sane with all the dirt and dust, clutter and upheavel that comes with remodeling.

No comments: