Friday, August 7, 2009

Springville World Folkfest - Day 3

Wednesday, July 29

Today I had to have the girls to another 9:00 am rehearsal. It lasted 3/12 hours. Amanda had to have the Mexicans to a rehearsal also, so we sat and talked until her people were ready to leave. When my girls were done, we stopped by the grocery store on the way home to pick up a few things, plus I wanted them to experience an American grocery store. The sad thing was I couldn't ask them how they felt about it. So many things I wanted to ask them and I couldn't, darn language barrier. While in the grocery store I had a really random experience. A college age girl came up and asked me if I knew what to buy to make strawberry pie. I told her, and then we each went our separate way. Later I turned the corner of an aisle and found her talking to "my girls" in KOREAN!!! I could not believe it! I wanted to take her home with me for the rest of the week and have her be my personal translator, but I didn't. I just asked her to ask the girls what they like to eat. I don't know if they told her or not, but she just said that on her mission she found that Korean's ate rice for almost every meal - plain white rice - and sometimes they had fried egg on top. So guess what we had for lunch. Plain white rice, with egg on top. But not fried eggs, the girls wanted to do the eggs, and they broke open 2 eggs, scrambled them with a spoon (weird, but they would not use the fork), then cooked it in a pan like we would an omelet, except rather than turning it over to cook the other side, they rolled it, then continued cooking it. When it was done, they put it on a plate, cut it into small bite size pieces with scissors. They poured catsup on the side of the plate and each girl ate their rice on their own little plates, but each would just take a piece of egg from the serving plate, dip it into catsup and eat. It was fun to watch them. They had asked me on Tuesday night for chopsticks, but I didn't have any just lying around, so we looked at the grocery store while there today, but they didn't have any either. I should have thought about it while at the Oriental market, because I know they had them there. Silly me!

After lunch, I took them to Bridal Veil Falls. They asked me what was Utah famous for and I could think of several things, but none of them within driving distance with our time schedule. So I came up with the Falls. It has been years since I have actually visited the falls. The water was SO SO COLD. But we walked around in it for awhile, then the girls just sat on some little rocks in the middle of the pool out in the middle of the sun, and make piles with the small rocks in the water. I sat on a large rock off to the side and watched their little shoulder bags that held their money and cameras (and was in the shade). My poor head got so sun burnt during the whole week.
Hye Jin, Hye Ji, Se Hyun





6:30 back to the Arts Park. Don't know why they had to be there early as they did not play drums tonight. Only the Korean dancers performed.
They were so cute. On the drive home at 11:00 at night they would fall asleep and I thought they would go home and go right to bed. But Oh No, was I wrong. They would groggily get out of the car, but by the time they reached the house, they were wide awake and rarin' to go, plus very hungry, so time to fix a snack. Can't remember what they had though. Finally, we went to bed at midnight and I have no idea how late they stayed up, doing who knows what.

No comments: