Saturday, November 12, 2011

Sense of Accomplishment

I started a project over two years ago and today it is finally finished...... completed.........done!!!!
YES! YEAH! HALLELUJAH!

We had two blinds left in our 6 family room windows and they were ripped, taped, tattered and UGLY!!! I was tired of buying blinds (this was the last of the second set) that just don't last, so I decided over two years ago that it was time for some ROMAN SHADES to replace them with. I priced them at different stores and even with discounts they would cost over $900.00. I just wasn't willing to fork out that much money so I decided that I could make them for much cheaper than that.

First I measured the windows then went to a local store that was having a sale on their curtain panels and bought 6. And then they sat in their cute little packages for a few months while I moved on to other things. One day I decided it was time to start work on them and opened one up, held it up to the window to make sure that it would block out the light, which is a necessity or we can't see the TV during the daytime. The flimsy little curtain panel hardly blocked out the light and their was still glare on the TV. I was so frustrated, so I folded the panel up nice, put it back in its cute little plastic package and went back to the store to return them. Remember how I let them sit in their cute little packages for a few months? Well it was just enough time that I could not get a full refund on them and I would end up loosing money. I was pretty darn frustrated to say the least. I came home and wanted to beat myself up over my laziness and not at least thinking to check the panels as soon as I purchased them to make sure they would be light blocking. I decided that I only had three options: 1- I could cry, feel bad for myself and do nothing, and just live with the ugly blinds we currently had. 2- I could give in and pay the $900.00 for someone else to do them, or 3- I could go to the fabric store, buy some room darkening fabric and sew that to the back of the panels. I decided to go with #3. So I ran to the fabric store, bought the other fabric, took it home, bought all the hardware that I would need to make them and then...................let it sit in their cute little packages for many more months.

One day when I got tired of looking at the old, ripped blinds (and the other windows that had no blinds) I was once again motivated to start on them again. I once again measured one of the windows, cut out one curtain panel and the backing and went to town hemming the cut side of the panel, sewed the backing on, then sewed all the rings on and threaded the cord and was so proud of myself for completing one curtain. I took it in and held it up to the window and it fit just right. Then I pulled the cords to make sure they operated properly and that I had done everything the way I was supposed to. To my horror, the curtain pulled away from the edge of the window a good 3 - 4 inches on both sides and let in a lot of sunlight. I nearly cried!!! I knew what had to be done, but I had been trying to avoid it because it meant a lot of extra work. There was no stability in the fabric to keep it from being "sucked in" on the sides. I would need to sew 4 - 5 pockets on each panel and insert some sort of dowel. One of the reasons for trying to avoid this (besides not wanting to do the extra work) was the dowels would not go up and down the window without hitting the chair railing that was on each side of the inside of the window. Guess what I did? I folded that curtain panel up with the others and let it sit and gather dust for several more months.

Finally one day I had had enough of the nagging in the back of my mind (maybe because it was always on the top of my to-do list) and decided it was time to just bite the bullet and get them done. I had decided that the only way to go was to cut them to extend a few inches on each side and have them be on the outside of the window instead of the inside where roman shades typically go. I measured the window "once again" and proceeded to cut another panel. Then I layed out the backing to cut it and realized that I had transposed the measurement on the panel and cut it at 56" instead of 65". This time I was not going to quit, and decided that I would just have to have a seam in it. Two of the shades would have to have seams in them....the one I just cut wrong and the one I cut months ago for the inside of the window. From there everything just flowed and I worked on it as much as I could, but summer was in full swing and I was busy with the garden and canning and other fun, busy summer activities and trying to finish up the second phase of school. But I persisted and finally they are now done. Actually they were done two weeks ago, but I have been waiting for Dennis to help me hang them. I thought it would take an hour or two to hang them. NOT! It took 4 1/2 hours.

I was so worried how they would look, because the curtain panels were so flimsy and the fabric shifted so much while sewing the rod pockets, but they don't look to bad actually. Professional looking, they are not, but they look 100% better than what was there. Two ripped and taped blinds and 4 windows with no coverings....and rather than feel a huge sense of accomplishment, I more feel a huge flood of R.E.L.I.E.F!!!!!

Now I can work start piecing quilt tops again. I told myself months ago, that I could not do anymore quilt tops until some of my unfinished projects were completed and I have accomplished that. I got two of the three quilt tops I previously made quilted and I finished the roman shades.


The blinds closed

The blind lifted half way


The blind lifted almost fully up. When they are all the way up the valance hides them.

The view of 2 different shades, closed.


P.S. Just in case anyone is even thinking it.........the answer is NO!!! I will not help anyone make roman shades, and I would not advise doing it. Even thought I love you all, the answer is still NO!