Monday, January 18, 2010

Stake Conference

We had stake conference this weekend and it was wonderful. I want to share a few things that I was reminded of. It is good that we can be reminded of basic truths because I sure can get side tracked and forget sometimes.

President Conley, the 2nd counselor of the Mt. Timpanogas Temple said that when we attend the temple we need to go with a purpose, not just to go and do the work for the dead. Maybe that is why I haven't felt the Spirit too strongly lately when I attend. I also feel better when I listed to uplifting music on the way to get me more in the spirit, but oft times I forget to grab an appropriate CD to listen to.

Our Stake President, President Young promised us that if we attend the temple more often we will be taught by the Lord, but only if we attend more often than we are not attending. I have set a goal this year to double my temple attendance.

President Young also said that we need to INVITE the Spirit into our lives. We can and will have joy and peace in our lives when we turn our lives over the the Lord. We need to be truly converted to the Gospel of Jesus Christ. He said that is the reason why the 3 witnesses of the Book of Mormon fell away from the church is that at one time they had a testimony, but they were not truly converted. A testimony is not enough, only total conversion.

A priest Kurt Gilbert from our ward spoke and did an awesome job. He said we need to DARE to do what is right.
D -decide now what you will do in a bad situation
A -arise above the pressure of the world and peers
R -remember who you are, a son or daughter or Heavenly Father
E -be and Example. Don't be IN the in crowd, BEGIN the crowd

President Pitts of the Utah South Mission said we need to "Lean toward the light".
The light being our Savior Jesus Christ. Just as a plant when turned will lean back towards the light, no matter how many times it is turned.

President Watts a counselor in the stake presidency said we need to "Develop Christ like attributes". We should kneel twice a day and supplicate to the Lord. Kneeling shows honor and respect. Twice a day is a minimum.

President Young said "The study of the gospel will change behavior quicker than studying behavior will change behavior". I thought that was simple yet profound. He also said that we need to "Be obedient to what God asks us to do".

I am glad to know that I am on the right path, but there is always room for improvement. I know that with earnest prayer (on my knees), attending the temple more often and following our Savior I can be a better person. I am grateful to the Spirit of the Holy Ghost for helping me feel the spirit of the meetings and to be able to see those things that I need to work on for the next 6 months. I LOVE THE GOSPEL OF JESUS CHRIST!

1 comment:

Heather said...

I'm glad you posted what some of the speakers at Stake Conference talked about. I took notes at the adult session but the Sunday session is really just a blur. Two 18 month olds can take all of your attention and then some!