Sunday, March 27, 2011

Grandma C., Grandma Christensen, Chuck A Grandma


I got word tonight that my grandma is not going to live more that a few days, which is a good thing because she has suffered so much for the past 20 years, especially the past 6, but it is also very sad to say goodbye. I have been asked to give the life sketch at her funeral, probably because she and I have been very close all of my life.

When I visited her tonight, she kept saying she was afraid. When I asked her what she was afraid of, she said she was afraid of going. She asked me if I would go with her. She is not totally in her right mind, so I told her that I don't think I could go with her at this time, but her mom and dad and husband would go with her so she won't need to be afraid.

I am really glad that Nancy, Calvin and Kimberly came by while we were there. Calvin and Dennis were able to give her a blessing and it was beautiful. I am so thankful for the Priesthood. During our visit, there was a group of students out in the main hall of the nursing home singing hymns. I thought it was a nice backdrop to the blessing. It sounded like a choir of angels singing in the background.

Dear Grandma, I love you! Thank you for all the love you showed me and my family over the past 50 years, and for the wonderful memories: the 4th of July parade and picnics, complete with new outfits and cap guns, sleepovers, Vicks and dishtowels tied around our necks when we were sick with a cold, playing under the tent of a steady stream of handstitched quilts that we were the lucky recipients of, the camping trips, peanut butter balls, a plethora of cookies and candy canes at Christmas, you didn't read us bedtime stories, you told them to us from your head, always loving us no matter what!

How sad it is to loose 2 of the people most dear to me in the space of 6 months. Life goes on, but will never be the same! The only consolation is in knowing that they are going/have gone to a much better place where there is no more suffering and are reunited with loved ones they haven't seen in many, many years.

2 comments:

Shantel said...

While it is sad that we are losing her I am so glad she gets to go home. She was very feisty today when I visited with her. She didnt seem too confused. She wanted vanilla pudding or soup and they didnt have either for her. She wasnt too happy about that. She did settle for some raspberry yogurt and mashed potatoes and gravy(which I had to add salt too). She is still fighting for some reason or another!

kimmers said...

I just laughed out loud when I read "Chuck A Grandma" in the title. Haha. I am so glad that we were at the care center with you guys when Grandma was so sick. It was a really spiritual experience for me. Also, the talk you gave at her funeral was amazing and I LOVED it. I am so glad that you shared everything that you did!!!