Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Springville Folkfest Saturday July 31

This morning we all met at Alisha's house for a breakfast of bacon, sausage and pancakes. It meant getting up a little early because they wanted to go swimming after breakfast. I couldn't stay and play with them at the pool because we had a Nash Family Reunion that night that I wasn't ready for. So I dropped them off at the pool, went and got some copies that Paco had asked for of "The Star Bangled Banner", dropped them off at Alisha's house, stopped by the pool to see if everyone was having fun, then headed home to make my salad and gather all the stuff I needed to take to the reunion. I heard from the girls later that they ordered everyone out of the pool for 30 minutes due to some kid throwing up in it. Glad I wasn't there for that.

I would like to vent a frustration for just a minute if I am allowed to. Please forgive me, but I am not happy with the spinach at Costco anymore. I have been buying it in the large bags for the past 2 years now, but in the past few months, no matter what date it is supposed to last until, it always goes slimy and gross within just a few days of opening it. It is very frustrating to me. I bought a bag on Wednesday and the good until date was Aug. 5th. We opened it up on Thursday to put some in a salad Amanda was making, and by Saturday when I went to make my Spinach-Strawberry salad, it was half rotten. I spent much more time than I had planned on just washing the gross off of the good. There, now I feel better. Lesson learned, don't buy spinach from Costco anymore.

Dennis wasn't feeling much better this morning, but at least the diarrhea was gone and he wasn't throwing up, even though he was still nauseous. He had to go into work for a few hours, poor guy. He came home and rested while I finished getting things ready. Even though I left the swimming pool long before my girls, they beat us up the canyon to Mutual Dell where the reunion was being held (due to the spinach washing). Anyway, we all had a good time. It was the Blanco's turn to plan and they did a great job. We spent 3 hours doing the zip line. Everyone went down except dad and myself. I couldn't go due to my broken/cracked ribs, and dad felt he was too fragile to go. At 73 he has every right to not want to take chances and injure himself, even though some of the family tried to goad him into going down.

Amanda and A (during the ride)



Amanda and A (notice the tear streaked face - she is usually the dare devil of the group, but apparently she didn't like the zip line)


Malinda (and many of the younger generation) played like monkey's.



My mom all harnessed up and ready to go. Amanda, R, C, and T watching.

The look on P's face tells it all.


Little Miss K. didn't like it too well.

Even though he was not feeling well, Dennis couldn't pass up all the fun.

I had to bribe Miss LaLa to ride it with her mother. It's amazing what a child will do for a piece of penny candy.

Getting all harnessed up

After the zip line we had a yummy dinner of pulled or barbecued pork (no I did not eat any), rolls, spinach/strawberry salad, frogeye salad, relish tray, fresh tomatoes, watermelon, and dessert. During dinner, the Stone family sang the most hilarious song that Calvin wrote about Bob and eating. After dinner a few of the grandkids braved singing karaoke. Then the party broke up and we headed back to the Art's Park for the last performance from our beloved Spain group. We made it with about 15 minutes to spare. I was so tired, it was all I could do to keep my eyes open during their performance. After they finished I curled up on the blanket, put my jacket under my head and fell asleep, sound asleep, until it was over and someone woke me up. It was a happy/sad occasion for me knowing this was the last night of performances and we missed the first half and I fell asleep during most of the second half.

Afterwards we all headed to Carol's house and went up to the room above her garage that looks totally cool. It looks like the inside of a large old cabin and is decorated with hundreds of antiques. My dream room. She had sandwiches and snacks for everyone and the Spaniards had beer and we sat around listening to them play until 1:30 in the morning. Finally I told them I was sorry to be a party pooper, but I had to take Dennis home to bed. He looked like he had fallen asleep in his chair, but later he told me he was trying to not throw up. He had been sitting near the food table and it was making his stomach turn something awful. I actually think that everyone was glad to call it a night. We got home sometime after 2:00am, and we had to be up the next morning at 8:00 so they could pack their bags before we took them to be bussed to the airport.

No comments: