Saturday, August 16, 2008

Fun at the County Fair

Yesterday we went to the Utah County Fair. We being Dennis and I, Mark, Elain and their family, Alisha, Randy and their family, and Amanda and her kids. It is definitely much smaller than the State Fair, but that was very nice as there were not tons of people.

It was cool to see the Lego display. Since I have not had young kids for years, and not been to Lego Land, I was amazed at the things you can do with Lego's. On their display were 2 Star Wars villages, Trains, Indy Race Car village, garden village, Gotham City, and even Thanksgiving Point, and that was about a third of the display.

I enjoyed looking at the quilts as I am getting into that. I have finished my first quilt top, but have yet to put a back on it and quilt it. I wish I had room for and money to buy a quilting machine. That would be way cool! The kids got to listen to Tommy Tomato and make a necklace for their little seed. (See picture) Dennis favorite thing is to look at the animals. I for one am glad to not have to go through a whole building of cows, then another whole building of sheep, and so on with pigs, horses, etc. We were able to see cows, sheep, chickens, pigs and tons of flies that like to fly in places to gross to mention. Only two sections of animals. That was just right. After the first one, they all look alike.

They got to crawl around on an Army Tank, and sit on several older model Tractors. One was even pink. That definitely was for the girls. They even had small tractors for little kids to ride on. Poor Porter, his legs are always just a bit too short to make the petals go round.

No fair would be complete without rodeo type events. We watched several teams do horse roping. It looks like a scary thing to me. Horses and men chasing down other horses. One of the referee's almost got clotheslined by a rope. After the roping we decided it was time to have a snack and tried the giant scones from the Orem Kiwanis booth. It's a good thing there were 5 0f us to share it. While we ate we listened to Greg Simpson an LDS singer.

Afterwards the kids got to go on a few carnival rides. It is fun to watch their faces. Especially the little ones who experience something for the first time, like Lydia on the cars and Clay on his first big grown up ride. It was so worth the cost just to hear Porter say "That...was...FUN!!! One of those priceless moments.

It was a very enjoyable evening spent with my family. The only thing that could have made it better was to have Steve and Malinda and Brian with us. Thanks everyone for coming. Clay, I hope your neck is not hurting today after your first wicked adult ride.

I apologize if music comes with this slide show. I don't know how to get rid of it.

No comments: